EXPLORING POLLUTION ON THE LAND

by - 01:39

Stemming from my initial research into the environment and environmental issues in today's society, I decided to explore further the different types of pollution which affect us and the places where we live.


I began by delving into the topic of land pollution which seemed to be a current issue affecting us all.  From litter, fly tipping and soil pollution to the huge amounts of industrial waste which are discarded every day, we are all touched by pollution of the land and it is seen daily whether we live in urban environments or in the country and is photographed extensively. I began keeping my eyes peeled for signs of waste polluting the environment and found many examples of land pollution which produced some interesting shots.

Fay Godwin

 Whilst studying pollution on the land, I kept a close focus on photographers who enjoyed not only the landscape but also how man’s presence affected the natural environment, particularly in a negative way.  Fay Godwin is a British photographer known for her black and white landscapes of the British countryside and coast. In the 1990s she was offered a Fellowship at the National Museum of Photography, Film and Television in Bradford, which pushed her work in the direction of colour and urban documentary. She also began taking close-ups of natural forms and incorporated man-made objects into these images.  I enjoyed Fay’s work, especially her ability to compose a striking shot in black and white with the harsh man-made objects taking focal point within a natural backdrop.  
 The above image of a road stretching into the distance, although, being simple in composition, gives great perspective and makes the viewer want to reach further into the photograph.  I liked the contrast between the straight lines of the road and the flowing landscape in the background as this ensured that the impact of the road within the shot was not lost.  The man-made object stood out and became the focal point which I liked and I began to understand that camera position was vital in order to give an unusual perspective.




The above second image again portrays both man-made industrial landscape and the natural world.  I liked this photograph in particular as textures were clearly displayed and I think shooting this photo in black and white helped to enhance them, giving each element of the shot more detail.  The soft grass in the foreground of the image is a direct opposite to the harsh lines of the industrial plant in the background and I thought this was a clever use of the composition.  The barbed wire fence is a strong shape and we immediately are able to see through this image, man’s stamp on the landscape. Within my work, I will also try and provide direct opposites as I feel that this produces a strong image full of interest and contrast.



The above third image by Fay Godwin is the image that initially attracted me to her work.  I loved how the half-submerged car is placed at the very front of the shot, leaving the great expanse of water to lead your eye into the distance.  The photographer again displays the image in black and white, with the car’s interior being the darkest part of the image.  I liked this use of light as it immediately enables the viewer to see that the car is a wreck with no windows and the debris surrounding the car immediately gives the impression of the car is polluting the rest of the glass like lake.  This image inspired me to search my local environment to see how man spoils the natural landscape, with rubbish, litter and industrial waste and buildings.



My own photographs
  My first chosen subject was a large pile of discarded tyres which had been left piled high next to a farm entrance.  Tyres are renowned for being very difficult to dispose and these very large machinery tyres proved to be very interesting to photograph as they gave rewarding compositions due to their varied sizes and tread patterns. In the first image above, I tried to compose my shot to effectively display that the tyres were situated within a natural environment rather than their typical commercial or industrial setting. I positioned myself low to the ground in order to achieve some interest in the foreground by using vegetation, which was then mirrored in the background by the silhouette of the tree.  I experimented with several angles, however, I found this composition was the most effective and although I also experimented with monochrome images, I thought that the use of colour in this shot was more dramatic.  I liked the moss which had begun to grow on the treads of the tyres, almost merging the industrial waste into its new environment.  I would continue to experiment with colour and composition with my next subjects to further try and enhance the photographs for this investigation into pollution of the land. 





A very familiar sight wherever we go is discarded litter.  In the countryside, bottles and cans are a regular part of the hedgerows and even in more urban environments, the problem of litter pollution is huge.  I found a large number of bottles which had been left in a pile by a lay-by which proved to be a good subject for further images of discarded waste.  I enjoyed photographing the bottles as I found they reflected the light well and although they were visibly dirty, the variety of coloured glass gave my photos interest.  Again I experimented with composure significantly and found that viewing the subject from close to the ground enabled the litter to blend into the natural surroundings which I liked.  I tried to ensure that grass was almost protruding from the bottles and cans to further blend the vegetation with the glass and aluminium giving more contrast and I think a more dramatic overall effect. I experimented with monochrome images as some of the bottles and cans gave fascinating shapes which worked better in black and white, however, I felt that some of the details were almost lost, especially within the natural setting, therefore, I reverted back to a full-colour image.






My third and final shot was taken of waste which had been left in a gateway close to my home.  Fly tipping is again a great source of land pollution and often either household waste products, garden waste or industrial waste can be found dumped on the side of the road rather than being correctly disposed of.  This pile of filled plastic bags immediately drew my eye, especially the vivid green of some of the bags.  There was no intention to hide this rubbish and I used this idea to compose my shot.  This time, I decided to try and enhance my shot using Photoshop to see if I could make a more stunning visual statement by enhancing certain areas.  I made sure that the rubbish was central to my shot and enhanced the green and white colour of the bags in order to create a firm focal point.  I adjusted the focus around the edge of the photograph, creating a soft frame, whilst keeping the centre pin sharp which I was really pleased with.  I have also tried to use Godwin's work as inspiration for my own, I haven't used the monochrome colouring like she does as I feel that it wouldn't give the image as much interest as when the colour is showing. 


Contact sheets











You May Also Like

0 comments