BENJIMIN VON WONG'S MERMAIDS

by - 01:57

Another artist which I discovered when researching pollution was Canadian photographer and visual artist Benjamin Von Wong. Wong has created an incredible series of environmental images to demonstrate and try to raise awareness of the damage caused by plastic pollution in our oceans.


Artists Images
A recent prediction has stated that "By the year 2050 it's estimated there will be more plastic than fish in the sea." Von Wong and a huge amount of volunteers set out to create a mermaid wonderland with 10,000 plastic bottles.Over three days the team set up a variety of dynamic photo shoots,which meant that all the bottles first had to be cleaned and sorted in order to create the correct colour pallet for the shots. The above image was the initial shot which first drew me to Van Wong's work. The use of colour and composition is interesting and although the image has been created using plastic bottles, the overall effect of the ocean is very realistic.  I like the way Wong has used different bands of colour to create the waves providing a good contrast of colour to the beach on the right of the image.  The choice of colour for the mermaids tail is also very effective as the red ensures that she is the focal point of the image and we are left wondering whether the plastic ocean has suffocated her or she is trying to escape from the ocean. 


This second image was particularly appealing as it showed a different style of composition. I really liked the way that a clear outline of a droplet of water was used to frame the mermaid in this shot and the clear bottles used in the contrasting background further made the human form stand out.
The coloured details of the models costume was easier to see in this image as only 2 singular colours were used in the setting and I liked this used of solid colour to enhance and frame the focal point.  I also enjoyed the use of light in this image as because it is so highly lit, the mermaid almost glistens and the bottles reflect the light making the water more realistic.


This above photograph was my favourite image created by Von Wong as it was able to portray a sense of movement within a static form.  I liked the use of colours selected for the plastic bottles which, when arranged in a swirling pattern, gave the photograph a flowing shape.  The mermaid's outstretched arm also reinforces this movement and gives the impression that she is swimming through the plastic. The white bottles are effectively positioned to look like foam on top of the waves and the green bottles, create a sense of shading and depth within the plastic ocean.  
I found Von Wong's images very striking and highly memorable, which I think is exactly what the artist wished to achieve.  He took a relatively simple waste product and was able to create really striking, stunning, photographs, each providing a strong underlying message to make us think about, how as a consumer, we can protect our environment.  Thinking about Wong's use of a single repetitive object, I decided to try and experiment with shape and repetition for my own photographs.


My Own Images
From being inspired by Benjamin Von Wong's excellent mermaid photographs, I decided to try and emulate a similar effect using plastic and a human subject to see if I was able to achieve some interesting visual effects.  My first image above concentrates on a human hand emerging from the plastic.  I chose this photograph as one of my final three emulation shots as I liked the simple composition.  The hand being central to the shot gives a clear focal point and the plastic being opaque and white allows no distraction to be present and we concentrate fully on the outstretched hand.Although this image would look effective as a monochrome photograph, I chose to leave the photo as shot as I liked the human element being highly realistic against the plastic sheeting. I will experiment with further images in black and white to try and develop my work.


My second image was an exploration of shapes in a more monochrome environment.  Similar to the first shot, I chose to capture a partial human form within the plastic, however, I felt that the pattern on the subjects jumper, shot in monochrome may give added interest to my image.  Initially I shot my photograph in black and white.  I felt that this worked, however, the detail of the plastic and the folds in the sheeting was ultimately lost which did not allow my image to create the same visual statement which I had intended. Although dramatic in some aspects, I felt that perhaps including more of the plastic sheeting in the frame may have enabled the photograph to be enhanced and the composition would have been more effective.  i therefore, explored further with the use of both colour and composition.  Learning from my tester image, I chose to include more of the human form within my photograph and also to position the subject more centrally within the plastic as Von Wong had done with his mermaids.  Inspired by Von Wong's raindrop photograph, I used a blue filter to simulate water which I think gave my image an interesting angle.  The strong patterns were still able to be prominent in the image, however, the blue hue provided an almost dreamy quality and the plastic began to resemble the sea with the human floating within it which I liked. I began to feel that my photographs were becoming more similar to those of Von Wong and that an environmental angle was beginning to emerge which is exactly the angle which I was seeking to achieve. 


The above third and final image was the photograph which I was most happy with.  Taking Von Won'g swimming mermaids as inspiration, I photographed my human subject swimming through the plastic.  I composed this image by elevating myself above my subject which I felt allowed me to capture the swimming action more effectively.  I also felt that this image gave the strongest environmental message as it shows humans battling against the plastic waste which is almost dragging them down and drowning them.  The folds of the plastic simulated the waves and the light hitting these folds was highlighted better with no filter being used.
Although the previous monochrome image and image taken with a blue filter was dramatic, I preferred the full colour image as it gave a more natural feel and although Von Wong chose for his photos to be more surreal, using brightly coloured mermaids, I think that my photograph will relate to us more effectively and perhaps put my environmental message across more clearly.


Contact Sheets


















You May Also Like

0 comments