EXPLORING OIL AS A WATER POLLUTANT

by - 02:03

After concentrating on land pollution, I decided to investigate the pollution of our oceans, rivers and streams and the substances which caused the greatest harm.  I began by using internet research and very soon found that Oil pollution is one of the most conspicuous forms of damage to the environment.  Because most kinds of oil are less dense than water, most spilled oil floats on the water surface. It spreads out and is pushed across the water by wind and currents and can cause immense damage is a short space of time. I found that Oil, however, although destructive, is very beautiful and the colours which emerge from spillages can be stunning.  I decided that as a separate investigation, I would try and recreate an oil spill to see if I could create some interesting shots of my own in an artificial controlled environment, however, I would also look at a more varied portrayal of oil, containerized, spilt and the after effects to broaden my research which you will see displayed below.


My own photographs
 I began my study by concentrating on oil drums and the vessels which store & carry oil.  An oil drum is a very distinctive shape and very recognisable.  The above shot, shows these containers, discarded, in a natural environment which I believe provides a great initial contrast.  
I again played around with colour for this composition to further enhance this contrast.  Typically photographs of oil slicks are highly coloured, however, for this image, I chose to keep most of the shot in black and white, with only the oil drums in their vivid blue.  I was pleased with this effect as the viewer was able to focus on the oil drums immediately. The blue of the drums was also mirrored in the sky and again I liked this overall hue which gave my photograph a dramatic quality and ensured that the drums of oil stood out within the overall composition. I was excited that such a simple shot could create a powerful environmental message and decided to look at colour more carefully in my further photographs.



 My second photograph taken on this topic was my favourite.  A small engine oil spill in a puddle of water was my subject, however, the strong line of concrete and wooden post, together with the small rocks, game my photograph an interesting composition.  I loved the hard lines and textures which I was able to capture and the colours, which the oil produced in this small area were stunning. Not only were the areas of water beautiful to photograph, but the areas of soil which had been contaminated by the oil were also visually interesting and I tried to ensure that elements of all these colours and textures were captured in my photograph.  
 After experimenting with colour and composition in this area, I decided to take my work to the computer and experiment with Photoshop adjusting the contrast and Saturation of colour.  I loved the results produced as many colours which were initially lost through the lens, were displayed in all their glory. I thoroughly enjoyed photographing this subject and I may use this as inspiration for my final piece.



Taking further inspiration from contamination of oil on the land, I experimented by taking shots purely of dried patches of oil to see what other effects I could achieve.  I found that when in water, the oil produced many tones of green and purple, however, on the land, colours were mainly blue and ochre.
 The contrast between these vivid blues and strong mustard yellow were very appealing and gave my photograph an almost surreal element which I enjoyed.  The textures which could be captured were interesting and my photographs could have been taken on a far away planet as the environment was so foreign to that which we are used to seeing.  I could perhaps have further improved my shot by adding a silhouette to the shot, however, this could be something to extend to in the future by perhaps using a double exposure technique.


Contact Sheets





You May Also Like

0 comments