ALBERTO SEVESO - INK IN OIL PHOTOGRAPHY

by - 02:37

Artisit Photographs
After researching the work of Shinichi Maruyama and the impressive way that a camera can be used to capture liquids in motion. I came across a further artist who had taken some amazing images of coloured ink in oil which developed this technique further.  Inspired by Maruyama and as I had found that oil reacting with water produces vivid displays of colour, I thought that I may be able to capture this with a fast shutter speed to create a high impact shot.
Italian photographer Alberto Seveso has created a selection of dramatic images which demonstrate this technique fabulously.  He drops ink into a vessel of oil and by using a high shutter speed is able to capture beautiful patterns.  Interestingly, he turns his images upside down for display purposes as he believes that this enables the effects to be showcased better.  His impressive visual landscapes are highly detailed and visually beautiful which inspired me to try and produce some similar visual imagery using ink and oil.



 The above image initially drew my eye as the formation was not only visually impressive, it also seems to defy the laws of gravity.  The careful use of colour and the way the camera has been able to capture movement within the shot was fantastic and I was keen to discover how this effect had been achieved through the lens.




The above photograph is yet another example of Seveso's work, however, this time a singular colour is used.  The fiery red billowing ink is suspended within the oil amazingly well and using the fast shutter speed has allowed Seveso to capture incredible detail.  I love the way the photograph has been turned and using this very simple technique has created such a dramatic result.  The image has motion yet is very dreamlike and I really loved the texture that was displayed within the composition which I felt was very clever.



The above third and final artist image further displayed this use of texture, however, this time, Severo's use of colour within his work embraced this textural technique and I think enhanced his shots even further.  The ink almost takes on an alien form and is really beautiful to view and although his images are very simple in composition, he uses a simple background in order to display his work and keep our eyes focused to the detail in the piece.  I hoped to also achieve the same level of intricacy in my own work together with displaying bright, intense bursts of colour.


My own photographs
 Inspired by Seveso’s use of bold colour, I decided to embrace this and try to visually capture the same vivid imagery in my photographs.  I adopted a similar technique of using a pipette as I did with the Ink in Water photography, however, I was hoping that as the oil was of a thicker consistency, I would have more time to capture the effects with my camera.  I used a wide lens for this shot as it was able to retain more light and I think that this worked very well as even the bubbles in the liquid were visible. The oil gave the image a certain glossy sheen which I found appealing and I was excited as to how this technique could be progressed.


 My second experimental shot was again taken using the same lens, however, this time, I chose highly contrasting colours to try and create more depth within my photograph.  The orange leapt out of the picture as the focal colour, however, the deep reds and blacks in the background were an excellent backdrop to this strong, almost fluorescent orange.  I liked the way in which the camera could capture such detail but unfortunately,  I could not achieve the same billowing effect which Seveso had captured in his images.  I found that composition was almost impossible to plan but it was exciting to experience an unpoised photographic technique and this spontaneous image capture was both interesting and fun.


My final image above was also my favourite using this technique and I was very happy with the overall shot.  The layers of colour used in this image were carefully dropped into the oil and I loved the way that the separate colours created different patterns within the oil.  The red ink dispersed the most whilst the yellow ink stayed in small globes which added texture to the photograph.  I was excited that I was able to create such an unusual image from my topic of pollution and this would not have been possible without delving deep into the world of oil and it’s effects on other liquids.


Contact Sheets

You May Also Like

0 comments