GREGG SEGAL - 7 DAYS OF GARBAGE

by - 02:05


As a direct result of studying the work of Benjamin Von Wong, I came across a further artist who enjoyed blending human forms with discarded rubbish and waste recycling to create images of high impact.Gregg Segal understands the vast environmental problem of waste and recycling and he decided to tackle this issue by creating a set of images demonstrating the amount of recycling waste a family creates within just 7 days.He asked friends, family and neighbours to save their recycling rubbish for a week and then be photographed surround by their litter. This technique he hoped would visually encourage people to reduce their waste, limit their rubbish and understand the environmental problem which they are contributing to.


Artist Images
 I enjoyed the way that Gregg Segal used different environmental settings for his images which I think was done to show that the problem spanned all environments and no part of the world is left untouched by the issue of litter and recycling.  The above shot, taken with Autumn leaves on the ground was an excellent way to ensure that the brightly coloured carrier bags were very visible.  The smartly dressed man is a direct contrast to the mess which surrounds him and I liked this use of contrast. The photograph is lit very well and I think this is done so we can see all the details of the packaging and litter. I think this almost personalises the photograph as we are able to see clearly waste products which we may use on a day to day basis and then Segal's message is reinforced as we see that it could be us lying amongst our own litter.



 The second image above, shot as a beach scene I thought was particularly effective. This photograph again concentrated on a single person, however, in this instance, they were almost buried in their own waste packaging. Again I liked the contrast of the golden pristine sand and the vast array of brightly coloured packaging as it made the image interesting. I also liked the composition of this shot which I thought was eye-catching. The woman dressed in a bikini is a completely normal sight on a beach, however, the litter is not common place and again this makes us think about the underlying message of the image.



The third image which fascinated me was the photograph above which showed the immense amount of waste a single family creates within one week. I found this image to have very hard hitting visual presence and everyone could relate to the underlying message being given by Segal. I liked the way the family were positioned in this photograph as it made the shot interesting, especially as there was such a varied age range of people. Segal I think deliberately ensures that the people in his photographs look as though they are going about their daily lives as normal. Their facial expressions are happy and content, almost oblivious to the amount of waste they are creating.


My Own Photographs
When taking my own photographs, I have tried to portray the same message as the artist and continue the recurring theme of being surrounded by our own waste, however, I have experimented with the composition of my work to try and demonstrate interest in shape giving a pleasing overall final shot.
I began by asking the model to raise their arms in order to introduce interesting angles to my piece which I then used as a focal point to my image.  I felt that by drawing the viewers eyes to this specific point you don't immediately look at the rubbish spread around them, but then as the eye starts to explore the image more, the environmental message becomes more prominent. By using this composition, I wanted to try and illustrate the fact that the problem of litter is not always noticed until people actually take action and look a little closer.  The sunlight was quite bright when taking this photograph and this cast some unusual shadows on the ground which I quite liked.  I think that the light could possibly have been used more to my advantage and if I had included more of these shadow shapes could have achieved an even more interesting image using the natural light more effectively.




The second of my photograph emulations concentrates further on light, shadow and shape.  I decided to focus a little closer on the rubbish to the previous shot and also at the shadows which were cast. I found that zooming in on the rubbish provided a more colourful image as many of the brands labels were vividly coloured.  The light shining on the plastic bottles reminded me of Benjamin Wong’s mermaids and I enjoyed this merging of theme within my shot.
When choosing the litter for this image, I specifically chose brands and products which were very familiar with high impact labels as I thought that this would help the viewer engage with my underlying message.  The sunbeams and shadows lit the model well and this was a good contrast to the litter lying in the shadows.



My third and final image explored a more macro perspective of my subject. This time, I have focused the camera even closer for this image again trying to display the detail of the rubbish.  The open can is dirty which is in direct contrast to the cleaning product which lies next to it.  I liked the irony of the discarded cleaner being thrown on the floor which I hoped would be interpreted by the viewer.   Although I have kept to theme by incorporating a small portion of the models hand, this photograph most definitely concentrates on the litter and the way that it has been discarded.  The colours are again bold and the label brands obvious and familiar.  I also liked that the PEPSI bottle in this photograph has condensation inside of it which again is seem more clearly with this zoomed in composition.  The green foliage which is coming through the brickwork is not lost within the photograph, however, to enhance this image, perhaps, I could look at increasing the colour saturation of this to further enhance the environmental aspect of the photo.


Contact Sheet








You May Also Like

0 comments